There are plenty of journaling myths that will keep holding us back if we let them. So let’s debunk the 5 most common myths and focus on the ONE thing that will see you flourish through the transformational art and practice of journaling.
Here are the 5 most common journaling myths and why they should be ditched:
1. You have to journal everyday I can’t live without journaling and need to journal everyday! But that’s just me and the way I’m built as a HSP and highly emotional person. Plus writing and journaling are what I do for my work so that’s why I need to journal daily. But that’s my way and it’s important that you find yours. But there is no law or rule that says you have to journal everyday. In a survey I did recently I asked people how often they would you like to journal and: 25% said daily 16% said every other day 14% said weekly, and… 39% said only when they need to. So it’s personal…and totally has to suit you and your needs.
2. It has to be the right time Is there a right time to journal…absolutely not! Some people prefer the morning, some swear by ending the day with journaling but there is no right time. In fact, anytime is the right time.
3. It takes a long time How long it takes you to journal is completely up to you. I’m a big advocate for journaling longhand as you know, and my classic 3 pages in an exercise book takes me about 14 minutes. But I write fast and it’s messy…and that’s what works for me! You get to choose how long and you can set a page limit or a timer based on your needs and schedule.
4. You have to be a writer I’m a writer as you know – but I’m also a journaler – and they are two very different things. You don’t have to be a writer to journal, you just have to be human. You have thoughts, you have feelings, you have experiences, and that’s all you need – the stuff of life – to be able to journal. Spelling and grammar and forming amazing sentences does not matter – you don’t write in a journal to show it to anyone else. It’s for YOU. So you definitely don’t have to be a writer to journal.
5. You have to have the perfect journal – or the right journal And no you don’t have to have the perfect journal. That’s just an excuse! Trust me, I’ve used it. I do have my preferences and my favourites but let me give you a tip right now – the BEST journal I have ever had and still use after 15 years is the very cheap 192 page exercise book.
So they are the 5 myths I urge you to ditch today!
But the one myth I want you to keep and live by is that there is a RIGHT WAY to JOURNAL. There IS a right way to journal – and that way is YOUR WAY.
There is a right way and that way is your way which is the right way for you!
Because we’re all unique and we’re all walking our own path.
And at any given moment in time you’re the only one that really knows what you need and want and how you feel and why you want to journal, and when it suits you, in the journal that suits you, for however long it suits you.
So, keep the myth that there is a RIGHT WAY TO JOURNAL and remember it’s YOUR WAY – the way that best suits and supports you.
You don’t have to be a writer to journal – you just have to be human. You have thoughts, you have feelings, you have experiences, and that’s all you need – the stuff of life – to be able to journal.